Custom Upper Extremity Prosthetics
If you lose an arm or a hand, it doesn’t mean you no longer have independence. Upper limb prosthetics make it possible for amputees to live fulfilled lives. PrimeCare Orthotics & Prosthetics is proud to be a prosthesis provider in the Las Cruces area.
Personalized Prosthetic Arms, Hands, and Fingers
Upper limb prosthetic devices have come a long way over the years.
Those with an upper extremity prosthesis have an artificially made device that acts as a substitute for a partial or entire hand or arm lost due to injury, accident, illness, or congenital defect. These devices come in a range of shapes, designs, and sizes to fit different needs. For example, a prosthetic hand or arm is usually made from shafts, sockets, and components that mimic how a limb attaches to a joint.
Any upper extremity prosthesis may be cosmetic, functional, or both. A cosmetic prosthesis helps the limb look natural but it provides minimal functionality. Functional prosthesis helps execute tasks that would otherwise be incredibly challenging due to limb loss, however, it doesn’t offer a cosmetic disguise.
Types of Upper Extremity Prosthetics Solutions We Provide
PrimeCare Orthotics & Prosthetics can help you live a normal life again whether you’ve undergone a partial or full upper limb amputation.
How We Work
- Stage 1: First ConsultationAt your first appointment, you’ll meet your prosthetist, who will ask questions to learn more about your medical history and discuss your goals. During this consultation, they will also take measurements for device fabrication and send this information to your insurance provider for approval, which typically takes a week.
- Stage 2: Insurance Approval & Prosthetic FabricationOnce insurance approves, we send your specs to our world-renowned prosthetics provider, Össur. Each part is deliberately chosen for maximum comfort to accommodate your unique condition. After the components arrive, it takes between 2-3 days to make the prosthetic.
- Stage 3: Fitting & Socket FabricationYour prosthetist will schedule a fitting appointment, where they will also assemble your direct socket system. Unlike most socket fabrication which takes between 2-6 weeks, we use Össur’s direct socket system, which requires 2 hours to build, meaning you receive your socket and prosthetics on the same day.
- Stage 4: OPS Pro App MonitoringPrimeCare’s first-time amputees are fitted with temporary prosthetics for an initial 3-12 months. After careful monitoring and evaluation, we select definitive solutions that best suit your condition and lifestyle.
Dedicated monitoring via our app and regular checkups assessing the suitability of your prosthetic prescription as you progress is vital to ensure comfort and mobility.
- Stage 5: Receiving your definitive prosthesisAfter the successful use of the preparatory prosthetic device, we analyze the information learned from the tracking app about how the patient moves. The development of a final prosthesis is an individual process. All the small details are taken into account when designing and developing the definitive version.
Upper Limb Prosthetics for First-Time Amputees
If you’re a first-time amputee, you likely have questions and apprehensions about the process. Rest assured that our team is highly experienced in providing upper extremity myoelectric prostheses to our patients.
You’ll start the process with an initial consultation and we’ll work to compile the right products for your rehabilitation. We then work to get the device approved through your insurance while we send your specs to our prosthetics provider.
Next, we will conduct a fitting and socket fabrication. All first-time amputees will be fitted with a temporary prosthesis for 3-12 months. From there, we carefully select the right solutions for your needs. Once we know that the preparatory prosthetic device functioned as it should, we will develop a final prosthesis for you.
Request a Free Evaluation
No matter what stage of the process you’re in, we’re here to help answer your questions.
Why Choose PrimeCare for Arm Prosthetics
Patient Success Stories
Can I play sports with upper limb prostheses?Yes, an upper limb prosthesis allows individuals to continue to play sports such as cycling, golfing, rowing, and many more. In many cases, there is a flexible or multi-axis joint that helps attach any sports equipment to the prosthetic part.
Do you provide emergency repair support for arm prosthetics?Yes, we are happy to provide our patients with emergency repairs if they need assistance with their prosthetics. We know how important it is to continue to lead a happy and fulfilled life and we’ll always be here to help when you need it!